[v2,0/5] USB: dwc2: Allow wakeup from suspend; enable for rk3288-veyron
mbox series

Message ID 20190418001356.124334-1-dianders@chromium.org
Headers show
Series
  • USB: dwc2: Allow wakeup from suspend; enable for rk3288-veyron
Related show

Message

Douglas Anderson April 18, 2019, 12:13 a.m. UTC
This re-hashes two older series I posted a long time ago, re-basing
them to mainline.  ...well, technically, atop another dwc2 series I
recently posted:

* usb: dwc2: Another attempt handling rk3288's remote wake quirk
  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190416215351.242246-1-dianders@chromium.org
  https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/1062972/

In general I've tried to add links to each patch pointing to relevant
older discussion.  Here are overall links to the cover letters though.
Note that for the previous "allow wakeup" series the discussion was
scattered a bit between the original post and the repost.

* usb: dwc2: bus suspend/resume that's not hibernate
  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1446237173-15263-1-git-send-email-dianders@chromium.org
  https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/613761/

* dwc2 patches to allow wakeup on Rockchip rk3288
  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1435017144-2971-1-git-send-email-dianders@chromium.org
  https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/572944/

* dwc2 patches to allow wakeup on Rockchip rk3288 (REPOST)
  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1436207224-21849-1-git-send-email-dianders@chromium.org
  https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/576120/

I'm hoping there's a better chance of these things landing this time
around, but I guess we'll see.  ;-)

In case it's helpful I've put what I tested (which is based on Heiko's
for-next branch and includes patches to enable deep suspend plus two
other s2r fixes) at:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+log/refs/sandbox/dianders/190417-testing-dwc2-wakeup

Changes in v2:
- Rebased to mainline atop rk3288 remote wake quirk series.
- rk3288-veyron dts patch new for v2.

Douglas Anderson (5):
  usb: dwc2: bus suspend/resume for hosts with
    DWC2_POWER_DOWN_PARAM_NONE
  USB: Export usb_wakeup_enabled_descendants()
  Documentation: dt-bindings: Add snps,need-phy-for-wake for dwc2 USB
  USB: dwc2: Don't turn off the usbphy in suspend if wakeup is enabled
  ARM: dts: rockchip: Allow wakeup from rk3288-veyron's dwc2 USB ports

 .../devicetree/bindings/usb/dwc2.txt          |  3 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron.dtsi          |  2 +
 drivers/usb/core/hub.c                        |  7 +-
 drivers/usb/dwc2/core.h                       |  5 ++
 drivers/usb/dwc2/hcd.c                        | 84 ++++++++++++-------
 drivers/usb/dwc2/platform.c                   | 43 +++++++++-
 include/linux/usb/hcd.h                       |  5 ++
 7 files changed, 113 insertions(+), 36 deletions(-)

Comments

Minas Harutyunyan April 18, 2019, 12:40 p.m. UTC | #1
Hi Douglas,

On 4/18/2019 4:15 AM, Douglas Anderson wrote:
> This re-hashes two older series I posted a long time ago, re-basing
> them to mainline.  ...well, technically, atop another dwc2 series I
> recently posted:
> 
> * usb: dwc2: Another attempt handling rk3288's remote wake quirk
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lkml.kernel.org_r_20190416215351.242246-2D1-2Ddianders-40chromium.org&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=b-IYjc3cgFyZYC_B9zSA_xbSLE2ODwAZX0Png-G4SwA&e=
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_patchwork_cover_1062972_&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=VCNBuDGf2VeFFWUUyE3wUdn-sDnUu0nFipeNpyWPXts&e=
> 
> In general I've tried to add links to each patch pointing to relevant
> older discussion.  Here are overall links to the cover letters though.
> Note that for the previous "allow wakeup" series the discussion was
> scattered a bit between the original post and the repost.
> 
> * usb: dwc2: bus suspend/resume that's not hibernate
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lkml.kernel.org_r_1446237173-2D15263-2D1-2Dgit-2Dsend-2Demail-2Ddianders-40chromium.org&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=FSVMrPFuSM--uXrAZN9GzCEXP60Li7miMsC4ydv6oDQ&e=
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_patchwork_patch_613761_&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=omRYPw4XVgY8Rq2UgJhApk2poeKXWCBc5QsYMlQkqk4&e=
> 
> * dwc2 patches to allow wakeup on Rockchip rk3288
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lkml.kernel.org_r_1435017144-2D2971-2D1-2Dgit-2Dsend-2Demail-2Ddianders-40chromium.org&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=ep7GoHZcPlQbiOkXlwy9xXZEKdbd4o2erhLSblDL5Rg&e=
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_patchwork_cover_572944_&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=hq4errAA9YvVpHJaVoWGTIHnlwiq1iuadWW1WJavtCI&e=
> 
> * dwc2 patches to allow wakeup on Rockchip rk3288 (REPOST)
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lkml.kernel.org_r_1436207224-2D21849-2D1-2Dgit-2Dsend-2Demail-2Ddianders-40chromium.org&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=n-nD8EdqtgTyPdPPJ06t2pxyjC1M65g5aXLT1OiuouY&e=
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_patchwork_cover_576120_&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=YkisA-u9q0yewqaRoOWWpps9E2QFh1asgnwkbM1B7mc&e=
> 
> I'm hoping there's a better chance of these things landing this time
> around, but I guess we'll see.  ;-)
> 
> In case it's helpful I've put what I tested (which is based on Heiko's
> for-next branch and includes patches to enable deep suspend plus two
> other s2r fixes) at:
> 
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__chromium.googlesource.com_chromiumos_third-5Fparty_kernel_-2Blog_refs_sandbox_dianders_190417-2Dtesting-2Ddwc2-2Dwakeup&d=DwIDAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=cQBKt4q-qzNVC53rNAwuwplH23V61rHQhhULvdLA0U8&m=tZD-jhA4bSymns9pwqhaT0Ico1SVCYevQaaQclHX8jY&s=ws6kQVDDGxYJnhR693pQP9fYL-PH_TUGzSVmD4u-S9Q&e=
> 
> Changes in v2:
> - Rebased to mainline atop rk3288 remote wake quirk series.
> - rk3288-veyron dts patch new for v2.
> 
> Douglas Anderson (5):
>    usb: dwc2: bus suspend/resume for hosts with
>      DWC2_POWER_DOWN_PARAM_NONE
>    USB: Export usb_wakeup_enabled_descendants()
>    Documentation: dt-bindings: Add snps,need-phy-for-wake for dwc2 USB
>    USB: dwc2: Don't turn off the usbphy in suspend if wakeup is enabled
>    ARM: dts: rockchip: Allow wakeup from rk3288-veyron's dwc2 USB ports
> 
>   .../devicetree/bindings/usb/dwc2.txt          |  3 +
>   arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron.dtsi          |  2 +
>   drivers/usb/core/hub.c                        |  7 +-
>   drivers/usb/dwc2/core.h                       |  5 ++
>   drivers/usb/dwc2/hcd.c                        | 84 ++++++++++++-------
>   drivers/usb/dwc2/platform.c                   | 43 +++++++++-
>   include/linux/usb/hcd.h                       |  5 ++
>   7 files changed, 113 insertions(+), 36 deletions(-)
> 

Did you consider/reviewed patch series from Artur Petrosyan "[PATCH 
00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes" (submitted on 
April 12) which fixing partial power down and hibernation flows for both 
modes: host and device?
I suspect that this both patch series can be in conflict.

Thanks,
Minas
Douglas Anderson April 18, 2019, 3:54 p.m. UTC | #2
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Minas Harutyunyan
<Minas.Harutyunyan@synopsys.com> wrote:
> Did you consider/reviewed patch series from Artur Petrosyan "[PATCH
> 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes" (submitted on
> April 12) which fixing partial power down and hibernation flows for both
> modes: host and device?
> I suspect that this both patch series can be in conflict.

No, I wasn't aware of them.  I'd like to try them out, but it looks
like it's currently impossible because they're not archived anywhere
that I can find.

1. LKML wasn't copied, so I can't find them on lore.kernel.org.  It is
suggested to CC LKML on all patches.

2. The Linux USB patchwork only has the cover letter plus the first 6
patches.  See <https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10898333/>

3. Searching my own archives I only see the cover letter plus the
first 6 patches.

Maybe you have some other pointer to how I can retrieve them?  I guess
I could try the first 6 patches without the later 8 but I'd rather get
the whole set...


-Doug
Artur Petrosyan April 19, 2019, 11:43 a.m. UTC | #3
Hi,

On 4/18/2019 19:55, Doug Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Minas Harutyunyan
> <Minas.Harutyunyan@synopsys.com> wrote:
>> Did you consider/reviewed patch series from Artur Petrosyan "[PATCH
>> 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes" (submitted on
>> April 12) which fixing partial power down and hibernation flows for both
>> modes: host and device?
>> I suspect that this both patch series can be in conflict.
> 
> No, I wasn't aware of them.  I'd like to try them out, but it looks
> like it's currently impossible because they're not archived anywhere
> that I can find.
> 
> 1. LKML wasn't copied, so I can't find them on lore.kernel.org.  It is
> suggested to CC LKML on all patches.
> 
> 2. The Linux USB patchwork only has the cover letter plus the first 6
> patches.  See <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__patchwork.kernel.org_cover_10898333_&d=DwIBaQ&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=9hPBFKCJ_nBjJhGVrrlYOeOQjP_HlVzYqrC_D7niMJI&m=rJbofHXqjP3sUBgEikaZ89fRWtsquvhFUkhSPguCiWw&s=_CrI0uolquXIYC5SuoZ1vBs7BM19VfCceI96qZm9kAY&e=>
> 
> 3. Searching my own archives I only see the cover letter plus the
> first 6 patches.
> 
> Maybe you have some other pointer to how I can retrieve them?  I guess
> I could try the first 6 patches without the later 8 but I'd rather get
> the whole set...
> 
> 
> -Doug
>


I have resend the patch set. You can find it with cover letter
"[PATCH v1 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes."

Let me know if you need any help.
Artur Petrosyan April 19, 2019, 4:44 p.m. UTC | #4
Hi Doug,

On 4/19/2019 15:43, Artur Petrosyan wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On 4/18/2019 19:55, Doug Anderson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Minas Harutyunyan
>> <Minas.Harutyunyan@synopsys.com> wrote:
>>> Did you consider/reviewed patch series from Artur Petrosyan "[PATCH
>>> 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes" (submitted on
>>> April 12) which fixing partial power down and hibernation flows for both
>>> modes: host and device?
>>> I suspect that this both patch series can be in conflict.
>>
>> No, I wasn't aware of them.  I'd like to try them out, but it looks
>> like it's currently impossible because they're not archived anywhere
>> that I can find.
>>
>> 1. LKML wasn't copied, so I can't find them on lore.kernel.org.  It is
>> suggested to CC LKML on all patches.
>>
>> 2. The Linux USB patchwork only has the cover letter plus the first 6
>> patches.  See <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__patchwork.kernel.org_cover_10898333_&d=DwIBaQ&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=9hPBFKCJ_nBjJhGVrrlYOeOQjP_HlVzYqrC_D7niMJI&m=rJbofHXqjP3sUBgEikaZ89fRWtsquvhFUkhSPguCiWw&s=_CrI0uolquXIYC5SuoZ1vBs7BM19VfCceI96qZm9kAY&e=>
>>
>> 3. Searching my own archives I only see the cover letter plus the
>> first 6 patches.
>>
>> Maybe you have some other pointer to how I can retrieve them?  I guess
>> I could try the first 6 patches without the later 8 but I'd rather get
>> the whole set...
>>
>>
>> -Doug
>>
> 
> 
> I have resend the patch set. You can find it with cover letter
> "[PATCH v1 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes."
> 
> Let me know if you need any help.
> 

I am so sorry to inform you that the patches have not reached to LKML.
Looks like there is a problem with the kernel mailing list servers or 
our local servers.
Will try to fix this as soon as possible and let you know about it.
Artur Petrosyan April 22, 2019, 3:50 p.m. UTC | #5
Hi Doug,

On 4/19/2019 20:44, Artur Petrosyan wrote:
> Hi Doug,
> 
> On 4/19/2019 15:43, Artur Petrosyan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 4/18/2019 19:55, Doug Anderson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Minas Harutyunyan
>>> <Minas.Harutyunyan@synopsys.com> wrote:
>>>> Did you consider/reviewed patch series from Artur Petrosyan "[PATCH
>>>> 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes" (submitted on
>>>> April 12) which fixing partial power down and hibernation flows for both
>>>> modes: host and device?
>>>> I suspect that this both patch series can be in conflict.
>>>
>>> No, I wasn't aware of them.  I'd like to try them out, but it looks
>>> like it's currently impossible because they're not archived anywhere
>>> that I can find.
>>>
>>> 1. LKML wasn't copied, so I can't find them on lore.kernel.org.  It is
>>> suggested to CC LKML on all patches.
>>>
>>> 2. The Linux USB patchwork only has the cover letter plus the first 6
>>> patches.  See <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__patchwork.kernel.org_cover_10898333_&d=DwIBaQ&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=9hPBFKCJ_nBjJhGVrrlYOeOQjP_HlVzYqrC_D7niMJI&m=rJbofHXqjP3sUBgEikaZ89fRWtsquvhFUkhSPguCiWw&s=_CrI0uolquXIYC5SuoZ1vBs7BM19VfCceI96qZm9kAY&e=>
>>>
>>> 3. Searching my own archives I only see the cover letter plus the
>>> first 6 patches.
>>>
>>> Maybe you have some other pointer to how I can retrieve them?  I guess
>>> I could try the first 6 patches without the later 8 but I'd rather get
>>> the whole set...
>>>
>>>
>>> -Doug
>>>
>>
>>
>> I have resend the patch set. You can find it with cover letter
>> "[PATCH v1 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes."
>>
>> Let me know if you need any help.
>>
> 
> I am so sorry to inform you that the patches have not reached to LKML.
> Looks like there is a problem with the kernel mailing list servers or
> our local servers.
> Will try to fix this as soon as possible and let you know about it.
> 

My patches has reached to LKML. You can find them with the patch set 
title "[PATCH v1 00/14] usb: dwc2: Fix and improve power saving modes."

This is the link to the patch set in marc.info
"https://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=155570003924638&w=2"
and a link in patchwork.kernel.org
"https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-usb/list/?submitter=180003"

Sorry for the delay.