[v6,0/10] Add support for OLPC XO 1.75 Embedded Controller
mbox series

Message ID 20190424074353.458446-1-lkundrak@v3.sk
Headers show
Series
  • Add support for OLPC XO 1.75 Embedded Controller
Related show

Message

Lubomir Rintel April 24, 2019, 7:43 a.m. UTC
Hello!

This is a sixth spin of the patch set that adds support for the Embedded
Controller on an OLPC XO 1.75 machine.

Compared to the previous version there are only some trivial-ish changes to
[06/10] and addition of Reviewd-by tags; as indicated in changelogs of
individual patches.

In my opinion the first seven patches are ready for merge as they are:

  [01/10] dt-bindings: olpc,xo1.75-ec: Add OLPC XO-1.75 EC
  [02/10] Platform: OLPC: Remove an unused include
  [03/10] Platform: OLPC: Move EC-specific functionality out from
  [04/10] Platform: OLPC: Avoid a warning if the EC didn't
  [05/10] Platform: OLPC: Use BIT() and GENMASK() for event masks
  [06/10] Platform: OLPC: Add XO-1.75 EC driver
  [07/10] Platform: OLPC: Add a regulator for the DCON

The patch [08/10] relies on changes to the OLPC battery driver that have
recently landed in the power-supply tree (without them enabling
CONFIG_BATTERY_OLPC on ARM would break build):

  [08/10] power: supply: olpc_battery: Allow building the driver

Sebastian Reichel provided an signed tag of an immutable branch that has
the necessary bits and was merged into the power-supply tree for 5.2:

  git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-power-supply.git psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed

The patch [10/10] was split of from the rest because Russell King found the
patch [09/10] it depends on possibly objectionable. They should not be
applied without further input from Russell:

  [09/10] ARM: export arm_pm_restart
  [10/10] Platform: OLPC: Add restart support to XO-1.75 EC

Tested to work on an OLPC XO 1.75 and also tested not to break x86
support with an OLPC XO 1 machine. I don't have a XO 1.5, but it's
unlikely this breaks it when XO 1 works.

Lubo

Comments

Andy Shevchenko May 8, 2019, 3:07 p.m. UTC | #1
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak@v3.sk> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> This is a sixth spin of the patch set that adds support for the Embedded
> Controller on an OLPC XO 1.75 machine.
>
> Compared to the previous version there are only some trivial-ish changes to
> [06/10] and addition of Reviewd-by tags; as indicated in changelogs of
> individual patches.
>
> In my opinion the first seven patches are ready for merge as they are:
>
>   [01/10] dt-bindings: olpc,xo1.75-ec: Add OLPC XO-1.75 EC
>   [02/10] Platform: OLPC: Remove an unused include
>   [03/10] Platform: OLPC: Move EC-specific functionality out from
>   [04/10] Platform: OLPC: Avoid a warning if the EC didn't
>   [05/10] Platform: OLPC: Use BIT() and GENMASK() for event masks
>   [06/10] Platform: OLPC: Add XO-1.75 EC driver
>   [07/10] Platform: OLPC: Add a regulator for the DCON
>
> The patch [08/10] relies on changes to the OLPC battery driver that have
> recently landed in the power-supply tree (without them enabling
> CONFIG_BATTERY_OLPC on ARM would break build):
>
>   [08/10] power: supply: olpc_battery: Allow building the driver
>
> Sebastian Reichel provided an signed tag of an immutable branch that has
> the necessary bits and was merged into the power-supply tree for 5.2:
>
>   git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-power-supply.git psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed
>
> The patch [10/10] was split of from the rest because Russell King found the
> patch [09/10] it depends on possibly objectionable. They should not be
> applied without further input from Russell:
>
>   [09/10] ARM: export arm_pm_restart
>   [10/10] Platform: OLPC: Add restart support to XO-1.75 EC
>
> Tested to work on an OLPC XO 1.75 and also tested not to break x86
> support with an OLPC XO 1 machine. I don't have a XO 1.5, but it's
> unlikely this breaks it when XO 1 works.

Pushed first 8 to my review and testing queue, thanks!
Lubomir Rintel May 9, 2019, 6 a.m. UTC | #2
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 18:07 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak@v3.sk> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > 
> > This is a sixth spin of the patch set that adds support for the Embedded
> > Controller on an OLPC XO 1.75 machine.
> > 
> > Compared to the previous version there are only some trivial-ish changes to
> > [06/10] and addition of Reviewd-by tags; as indicated in changelogs of
> > individual patches.
> > 
> > In my opinion the first seven patches are ready for merge as they are:
> > 
> >   [01/10] dt-bindings: olpc,xo1.75-ec: Add OLPC XO-1.75 EC
> >   [02/10] Platform: OLPC: Remove an unused include
> >   [03/10] Platform: OLPC: Move EC-specific functionality out from
> >   [04/10] Platform: OLPC: Avoid a warning if the EC didn't
> >   [05/10] Platform: OLPC: Use BIT() and GENMASK() for event masks
> >   [06/10] Platform: OLPC: Add XO-1.75 EC driver
> >   [07/10] Platform: OLPC: Add a regulator for the DCON
> > 
> > The patch [08/10] relies on changes to the OLPC battery driver that have
> > recently landed in the power-supply tree (without them enabling
> > CONFIG_BATTERY_OLPC on ARM would break build):
> > 
> >   [08/10] power: supply: olpc_battery: Allow building the driver
> > 
> > Sebastian Reichel provided an signed tag of an immutable branch that has
> > the necessary bits and was merged into the power-supply tree for 5.2:
> > 
> >   git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-power-supply.git psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed
> > 
> > The patch [10/10] was split of from the rest because Russell King found the
> > patch [09/10] it depends on possibly objectionable. They should not be
> > applied without further input from Russell:
> > 
> >   [09/10] ARM: export arm_pm_restart
> >   [10/10] Platform: OLPC: Add restart support to XO-1.75 EC
> > 
> > Tested to work on an OLPC XO 1.75 and also tested not to break x86
> > support with an OLPC XO 1 machine. I don't have a XO 1.5, but it's
> > unlikely this breaks it when XO 1 works.
> 
> Pushed first 8 to my review and testing queue, thanks!

Thank you.

Looking at kbuild bot errors, it seems I managed to somehow mess up
again. It is not true that just the [08/10] patch relies on the
psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed branch of power-supply tree (see above);
in fact [03/10] also does on x86.

Would it be possible to include that branch in your testing as well? It
is going to be included in the power-supply pull for 5.2.

Also, it seems patches [09/10] and [10/10] landed in your queue; they
are not ready.

Lubo
Andy Shevchenko May 10, 2019, 2:28 p.m. UTC | #3
On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak@v3.sk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 18:07 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > Pushed first 8 to my review and testing queue, thanks!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Looking at kbuild bot errors, it seems I managed to somehow mess up
> again. It is not true that just the [08/10] patch relies on the
> psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed branch of power-supply tree (see above);
> in fact [03/10] also does on x86.
>
> Would it be possible to include that branch in your testing as well? It
> is going to be included in the power-supply pull for 5.2.

Still some warnings.
Unfortunately there is no time to push to this cycle and test, so,
I'll withdraw them from my queue.

> Also, it seems patches [09/10] and [10/10] landed in your queue; they
> are not ready.

I didn't pull them in the last attempt.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko
Lubomir Rintel May 13, 2019, 7:41 a.m. UTC | #4
On Fri, 2019-05-10 at 17:28 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak@v3.sk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 18:07 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > > Pushed first 8 to my review and testing queue, thanks!
> > 
> > Thank you.
> > 
> > Looking at kbuild bot errors, it seems I managed to somehow mess up
> > again. It is not true that just the [08/10] patch relies on the
> > psy-olpc-1.75-battery-signed branch of power-supply tree (see above);
> > in fact [03/10] also does on x86.
> > 
> > Would it be possible to include that branch in your testing as well? It
> > is going to be included in the power-supply pull for 5.2.
> 
> Still some warnings.
> Unfortunately there is no time to push to this cycle and test, so,
> I'll withdraw them from my queue.
> 
> > Also, it seems patches [09/10] and [10/10] landed in your queue; they
> > are not ready.
> 
> I didn't pull them in the last attempt.

Thank you; even though this doesn't make 5.2 the tests that run against
your review branch were useful and uncovered bugs. Some are against the
olpc_battery branch -- I've sent the fix to power-supply maintainer and
pm-linux list already.

They're now being reported somewhat redundantly, please drop the
patches from your branch or replace it with ones I'll submit shortly.

> --
> With Best Regards,
> Andy Shevchenko

Thank you
Lubo