[v1,00/17] dts: Update DT bindings for CoreSight replicator and funnel
mbox series

Message ID 20190507034734.20622-1-leo.yan@linaro.org
Headers show
Series
  • dts: Update DT bindings for CoreSight replicator and funnel
Related show

Message

Leo Yan May 7, 2019, 3:47 a.m. UTC
Since the DT bindings consolidatoins for CoreSight replicator and funnel
is ready for kernel v5.2 merge window [1], this patch set is to update
the related CoreSight DT bindings for platforms; IIUC, this patch set
will be safe for merging into kernel v5.2 because the dependency
patches in [1] will be landed into mainline kernel v5.2 cycle.

In this patch set, it tries to update below two compatible strings to
the latest strings:

  s/"arm,coresight-replicator"/"arm,coresight-static-replicator"
  s/"arm,coresight-funnel"/"arm,coresight-dynamic-funnel"

Please note, some platforms have two continuous patches, one is for
updating static replicator compatible string and another is for dynamic
funnel change; and other platforms have only one patch since it only
needs to change for dynamic funnel.

Avoid to introduce merging confliction, I rebased this patch set on
linux-next branch with last commit fcdb095ad001 ("Add linux-next
specific files for 20190506").

This patch set has been tested on Arm Juno and Hikey620 boards, other
platforms are only compilation passing.

P.s. when use scirpt/checkpatch.pl, it reports the warnings as below. I
think we can ignore this warnings for this patch set, please review if
this makes sense for you.

WARNING: line over 80 characters
#29: FILE: arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7s.dtsi:178:
+                       compatible = "arm,coresight-dynamic-funnel", "arm,primecell";

[1] https://archive.armlinux.org.uk/lurker/message/20190412.102734.2afbb29a.en.html

Cc: Rob Herring <robh+dt@kernel.org>
Cc: Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>
Cc: Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org>
Cc: Suzuki K Poulose <suzuki.poulose@arm.com>
Cc: Liviu Dudau <liviu.dudau@arm.com>
Cc: Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@arm.com>
Cc: Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>
Cc: Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com>
Cc: Guodong Xu <guodong.xu@linaro.org>
Cc: Zhangfei Gao <zhangfei.gao@linaro.org>
Cc: Haojian Zhuang <haojian.zhuang@linaro.org>
Cc: Shawn Guo <shawnguo@kernel.org>
Cc: Chris Healy <cphealy@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
Cc: Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com>
Cc: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
Cc: Andy Gross <agross@kernel.org>
Cc: David Brown <david.brown@linaro.org>
Cc: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>
Cc: Lee Jones <lee.jones@linaro.org>
Cc: Chunyan Zhang <zhang.chunyan@linaro.org>
Cc: Orson Zhai <orsonzhai@gmail.com>
Cc: Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@linaro.org>


Leo Yan (17):
  ARM: dts: hip04: Update coresight bindings for replicator
  ARM: dts: hip04: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  ARM: dts: imx7s: Update coresight bindings for replicator
  ARM: dts: imx7s: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  ARM: dts: qcom-apq8064: Update coresight bindings for replicator
  ARM: dts: qcom-apq8064: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  ARM: dts: ste: Update coresight bindings for replicator
  ARM: dts: ste: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  ARM: dts: vexpress-v2p-ca15_a7: Update coresight bindings for
    replicator
  ARM: dts: vexpress-v2p-ca15_a7: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  ARM: dts: qcom-msm8974: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  arm64: dts: hi6220: Update coresight bindings for replicator
  arm64: dts: hi6220: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  arm64: dts: juno: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  arm64: dts: qcom-msm8916: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  arm64: dts: sc9836: Update coresight bindings for funnel
  arm64: dts: sc9860: Update coresight bindings for funnel

 arch/arm/boot/dts/hip04.dtsi                   | 18 +++++++++---------
 arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7s.dtsi                   |  6 +++---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/qcom-apq8064.dtsi            |  4 ++--
 arch/arm/boot/dts/qcom-msm8974.dtsi            |  6 +++---
 arch/arm/boot/dts/ste-dbx5x0.dtsi              |  4 ++--
 arch/arm/boot/dts/vexpress-v2p-ca15_a7.dts     |  4 ++--
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno-base.dtsi         |  6 +++---
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno-cs-r1r2.dtsi      |  4 ++--
 .../boot/dts/hisilicon/hi6220-coresight.dtsi   |  6 +++---
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/msm8916.dtsi          |  4 ++--
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/sprd/sc9836.dtsi           |  2 +-
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/sprd/sc9860.dtsi           |  8 ++++----
 12 files changed, 36 insertions(+), 36 deletions(-)

Comments

Suzuki K Poulose May 7, 2019, 8:27 a.m. UTC | #1
Leo,

On 07/05/2019 04:47, Leo Yan wrote:
> Since the DT bindings consolidatoins for CoreSight replicator and funnel
> is ready for kernel v5.2 merge window [1], this patch set is to update
> the related CoreSight DT bindings for platforms; IIUC, this patch set
> will be safe for merging into kernel v5.2 because the dependency
> patches in [1] will be landed into mainline kernel v5.2 cycle.
> 
> In this patch set, it tries to update below two compatible strings to
> the latest strings:
> 
>    s/"arm,coresight-replicator"/"arm,coresight-static-replicator"
>    s/"arm,coresight-funnel"/"arm,coresight-dynamic-funnel"
> 
> Please note, some platforms have two continuous patches, one is for
> updating static replicator compatible string and another is for dynamic
> funnel change; and other platforms have only one patch since it only
> needs to change for dynamic funnel.

I would have preferred to keep them as a single change. Either way, for
the entire series :

Acked-by: Suzuki K Poulose <suzuki.poulose@arm.com>
Sudeep Holla May 7, 2019, 10:46 a.m. UTC | #2
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 09:27:26AM +0100, Suzuki K Poulose wrote:
> Leo,
>
> On 07/05/2019 04:47, Leo Yan wrote:
> > Since the DT bindings consolidatoins for CoreSight replicator and funnel
> > is ready for kernel v5.2 merge window [1], this patch set is to update
> > the related CoreSight DT bindings for platforms; IIUC, this patch set
> > will be safe for merging into kernel v5.2 because the dependency
> > patches in [1] will be landed into mainline kernel v5.2 cycle.
> >
> > In this patch set, it tries to update below two compatible strings to
> > the latest strings:
> >
> >    s/"arm,coresight-replicator"/"arm,coresight-static-replicator"
> >    s/"arm,coresight-funnel"/"arm,coresight-dynamic-funnel"
> >
> > Please note, some platforms have two continuous patches, one is for
> > updating static replicator compatible string and another is for dynamic
> > funnel change; and other platforms have only one patch since it only
> > needs to change for dynamic funnel.
>
> I would have preferred to keep them as a single change. Either way, for
> the entire series :
>
> Acked-by: Suzuki K Poulose <suzuki.poulose@arm.com>

Thanks.

Leo,

I plan to take 9,10,14/17 for v5.3
Please shout if you plan to take the series directly via different tree.

--
Regards,
Sudeep
Leo Yan May 7, 2019, 12:16 p.m. UTC | #3
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 11:46:12AM +0100, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 09:27:26AM +0100, Suzuki K Poulose wrote:
> > Leo,
> >
> > On 07/05/2019 04:47, Leo Yan wrote:
> > > Since the DT bindings consolidatoins for CoreSight replicator and funnel
> > > is ready for kernel v5.2 merge window [1], this patch set is to update
> > > the related CoreSight DT bindings for platforms; IIUC, this patch set
> > > will be safe for merging into kernel v5.2 because the dependency
> > > patches in [1] will be landed into mainline kernel v5.2 cycle.
> > >
> > > In this patch set, it tries to update below two compatible strings to
> > > the latest strings:
> > >
> > >    s/"arm,coresight-replicator"/"arm,coresight-static-replicator"
> > >    s/"arm,coresight-funnel"/"arm,coresight-dynamic-funnel"
> > >
> > > Please note, some platforms have two continuous patches, one is for
> > > updating static replicator compatible string and another is for dynamic
> > > funnel change; and other platforms have only one patch since it only
> > > needs to change for dynamic funnel.
> >
> > I would have preferred to keep them as a single change. Either way, for
> > the entire series :
> >
> > Acked-by: Suzuki K Poulose <suzuki.poulose@arm.com>
> 
> Thanks.

Thanks, Suzuki and Sudeep.

> Leo,
> 
> I plan to take 9,10,14/17 for v5.3

Yes, please pick up these 3 patches.

Thanks,
Leo Yan

> Please shout if you plan to take the series directly via different tree.
>
> 
> --
> Regards,
> Sudeep
Leo Yan May 7, 2019, 1:24 p.m. UTC | #4
Hi Sudeep,

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 08:16:04PM +0800, Leo Yan wrote:

[...]

> > I plan to take 9,10,14/17 for v5.3
> 
> Yes, please pick up these 3 patches.

I am planning to respin new patch set with more clear explaination in
the commit log.

Please let me know if it's okay for you to wait for new patch set, or
will you directly pick up these three patches and I should drop these
3 patches in next version?

Thanks,
Leo Yan
Suzuki K Poulose May 7, 2019, 3:06 p.m. UTC | #5
On 07/05/2019 14:24, Leo Yan wrote:
> Hi Sudeep,
> 
> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 08:16:04PM +0800, Leo Yan wrote:
> 
> [...]
> 
>>> I plan to take 9,10,14/17 for v5.3
>>
>> Yes, please pick up these 3 patches.
> 
> I am planning to respin new patch set with more clear explaination in
> the commit log.
> 
> Please let me know if it's okay for you to wait for new patch set, or
> will you directly pick up these three patches and I should drop these
> 3 patches in next version?

Leo,

If you do respin, please could you merge the separate patches for funnel and
replicator per DTS into a single patch.

Cheers
Suzuki
Leo Yan May 7, 2019, 3:31 p.m. UTC | #6
Hi Suzuki,

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 04:06:32PM +0100, Suzuki K Poulose wrote:

[...]

> Leo,
> 
> If you do respin, please could you merge the separate patches for funnel and
> replicator per DTS into a single patch.

Okay, will do it.

Thanks,
Leo Yan