[v7,0/8] Fix year 2038 issue for sound subsystem
mbox series

Message ID 20191211212025.1981822-1-arnd@arndb.de
Headers show
Series
  • Fix year 2038 issue for sound subsystem
Related show

Message

Arnd Bergmann Dec. 11, 2019, 9:20 p.m. UTC
This is a series I worked on with Baolin in 2017 and 2018, but we
never quite managed to finish up the last pieces. During the
ALSA developer meetup at ELC-E 2018 in Edinburgh, a decision was
made to go with this approach for keeping best compatibility
with existing source code, and then I failed to follow up by
resending the patches.

Now I have patches for all remaining time_t uses in the kernel,
so it's absolutely time to revisit them. I have done more
review of the patches myself and found a couple of minor issues
that I have fixed up, otherwise the series is still the same as
before.

Conceptually, the idea of these patches is:

- 64-bit applications should see no changes at all, neither
  compile-time nor run-time.

- 32-bit code compiled with a 64-bit time_t currently
  does not work with ALSA, and requires kernel changes and/or
  sound/asound.h changes

- Most 32-bit code using these interfaces will work correctly
  on a modified kernel, with or without the uapi header changes.

- 32-bit code using SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_TREAD requires the
  updated header file for 64-bit time_t support

- 32-bit i386 user space with 64-bit time_t is broken for
  SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_STATUS, SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_STATUS and
  SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_SYNC_PTR because of i386 alignment. This is also
  addressed by the updated uapi header.

- PCM mmap is currently supported on native x86 kernels
  (both 32-bit and 64-bit) but not for compat mode. This series breaks
  the 32-bit native mmap support for 32-bit time_t, but instead allows
  it for 64-bit time_t on both native and compat kernels. This seems to
  be the best trade-off, as mmap support is optional already, and most
  32-bit code runs in compat mode anyway.

- I've tried to avoid breaking compilation of 32-bit code
  as much as possible. Anything that does break however is likely code
  that is already broken on 64-bit time_t and needs source changes to
  fix them.

I hope I addressed all review comments by now, so please pull this
for linux-5.6.

A git branch with the same contents is available for testing at [1].

     Arnd

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/playground.git y2038-alsa-v7
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8P3a2Os66+iwQYf97qh05W2JP8rmWao8zmKoHiXqVHvyYAJA@mail.gmail.com/T/#m6519cb07cfda08adf1dedea6596bb98892b4d5dc

Changes since v6: (Arnd):
 - Add a patch to update the API versions
 - Hide a timespec reference in #ifndef __KERNEL__ to remove the
   last reference to time_t
 - Use a more readable way to do padding and describe it in the
   changelog
 - Rebase to linux-5.5-rc1, changing include/sound/soc-component.h                   
   and sound/drivers/aloop.c as needed.

Changes since v5 (Arnd):
 - Rebased to linux-5.4-rc4
 - Updated to completely remove timespec and time_t references from alsa
 - found and fixed a few bugs

Changes since v4 (Baolin):
 - Add patch 5 to change trigger_tstamp member of struct snd_pcm_runtime.
 - Add patch 8 to change internal timespec.
 - Add more explanation in commit message.
 - Use ktime_get_real_ts64() in patch 6.
 - Split common code out into a separate function in patch 6.
 - Fix tu->tread bug in patch 6 and remove #if __BITS_PER_LONG == 64 macro.

Changes since v3:
 - Move struct snd_pcm_status32 to pcm.h file.
 - Modify comments and commit message.
 - Add new patch2 ~ patch6.

Changes since v2:
 - Renamed all structures to make clear.
 - Remove CONFIG_X86_X32 macro and introduced new compat_snd_pcm_status64_x86_32.

Changes since v1:
 - Add one macro for struct snd_pcm_status_32 which only active in 32bits kernel.
 - Convert pcm_compat.c to use struct snd_pcm_status_64.
 - Convert pcm_native.c to use struct snd_pcm_status_64.
---

Arnd Bergmann (3):
  ALSA: move snd_pcm_ioctl_sync_ptr_compat into pcm_native.c
  ALSA: add new 32-bit layout for snd_pcm_mmap_status/control
  ALSA: bump uapi version numbers

Baolin Wang (6):
  ALSA: Replace timespec with timespec64
  ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_timer_status
  ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_ctl_elem_value
  ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_pcm_status
  ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_rawmidi_status
  ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_timer_tread

 include/sound/pcm.h               |  74 ++++++--
 include/sound/soc-component.h     |   4 +-
 include/sound/timer.h             |   4 +-
 include/uapi/sound/asound.h       | 145 +++++++++++++--
 sound/core/pcm.c                  |  12 +-
 sound/core/pcm_compat.c           | 282 ++++++++----------------------
 sound/core/pcm_lib.c              |  38 ++--
 sound/core/pcm_native.c           | 226 +++++++++++++++++++++---
 sound/core/rawmidi.c              | 132 +++++++++++---
 sound/core/rawmidi_compat.c       |  87 +++------
 sound/core/timer.c                | 229 ++++++++++++++++++------
 sound/core/timer_compat.c         |  62 +------
 sound/drivers/aloop.c             |   2 +-
 sound/pci/hda/hda_controller.c    |  10 +-
 sound/soc/intel/skylake/skl-pcm.c |   4 +-
 15 files changed, 817 insertions(+), 494 deletions(-)

Comments

Takashi Iwai Dec. 17, 2019, 10:42 a.m. UTC | #1
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 22:20:16 +0100,
Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> 
> This is a series I worked on with Baolin in 2017 and 2018, but we
> never quite managed to finish up the last pieces. During the
> ALSA developer meetup at ELC-E 2018 in Edinburgh, a decision was
> made to go with this approach for keeping best compatibility
> with existing source code, and then I failed to follow up by
> resending the patches.
> 
> Now I have patches for all remaining time_t uses in the kernel,
> so it's absolutely time to revisit them. I have done more
> review of the patches myself and found a couple of minor issues
> that I have fixed up, otherwise the series is still the same as
> before.
> 
> Conceptually, the idea of these patches is:
> 
> - 64-bit applications should see no changes at all, neither
>   compile-time nor run-time.
> 
> - 32-bit code compiled with a 64-bit time_t currently
>   does not work with ALSA, and requires kernel changes and/or
>   sound/asound.h changes
> 
> - Most 32-bit code using these interfaces will work correctly
>   on a modified kernel, with or without the uapi header changes.
> 
> - 32-bit code using SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_TREAD requires the
>   updated header file for 64-bit time_t support
> 
> - 32-bit i386 user space with 64-bit time_t is broken for
>   SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_STATUS, SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_STATUS and
>   SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_SYNC_PTR because of i386 alignment. This is also
>   addressed by the updated uapi header.
> 
> - PCM mmap is currently supported on native x86 kernels
>   (both 32-bit and 64-bit) but not for compat mode. This series breaks
>   the 32-bit native mmap support for 32-bit time_t, but instead allows
>   it for 64-bit time_t on both native and compat kernels. This seems to
>   be the best trade-off, as mmap support is optional already, and most
>   32-bit code runs in compat mode anyway.
> 
> - I've tried to avoid breaking compilation of 32-bit code
>   as much as possible. Anything that does break however is likely code
>   that is already broken on 64-bit time_t and needs source changes to
>   fix them.
> 
> I hope I addressed all review comments by now, so please pull this
> for linux-5.6.
> 
> A git branch with the same contents is available for testing at [1].
> 
>      Arnd

I see no issue other than the timer API patch Ben pointed.

Could you resubmit that patch?  Or just submit the whole as v8, I
don't mind either way.  Then we'll get this done for 5.6.


Thanks!

Takashi


> 
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/playground.git y2038-alsa-v7
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8P3a2Os66+iwQYf97qh05W2JP8rmWao8zmKoHiXqVHvyYAJA@mail.gmail.com/T/#m6519cb07cfda08adf1dedea6596bb98892b4d5dc
> 
> Changes since v6: (Arnd):
>  - Add a patch to update the API versions
>  - Hide a timespec reference in #ifndef __KERNEL__ to remove the
>    last reference to time_t
>  - Use a more readable way to do padding and describe it in the
>    changelog
>  - Rebase to linux-5.5-rc1, changing include/sound/soc-component.h                   
>    and sound/drivers/aloop.c as needed.
> 
> Changes since v5 (Arnd):
>  - Rebased to linux-5.4-rc4
>  - Updated to completely remove timespec and time_t references from alsa
>  - found and fixed a few bugs
> 
> Changes since v4 (Baolin):
>  - Add patch 5 to change trigger_tstamp member of struct snd_pcm_runtime.
>  - Add patch 8 to change internal timespec.
>  - Add more explanation in commit message.
>  - Use ktime_get_real_ts64() in patch 6.
>  - Split common code out into a separate function in patch 6.
>  - Fix tu->tread bug in patch 6 and remove #if __BITS_PER_LONG == 64 macro.
> 
> Changes since v3:
>  - Move struct snd_pcm_status32 to pcm.h file.
>  - Modify comments and commit message.
>  - Add new patch2 ~ patch6.
> 
> Changes since v2:
>  - Renamed all structures to make clear.
>  - Remove CONFIG_X86_X32 macro and introduced new compat_snd_pcm_status64_x86_32.
> 
> Changes since v1:
>  - Add one macro for struct snd_pcm_status_32 which only active in 32bits kernel.
>  - Convert pcm_compat.c to use struct snd_pcm_status_64.
>  - Convert pcm_native.c to use struct snd_pcm_status_64.
> ---
> 
> Arnd Bergmann (3):
>   ALSA: move snd_pcm_ioctl_sync_ptr_compat into pcm_native.c
>   ALSA: add new 32-bit layout for snd_pcm_mmap_status/control
>   ALSA: bump uapi version numbers
> 
> Baolin Wang (6):
>   ALSA: Replace timespec with timespec64
>   ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_timer_status
>   ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_ctl_elem_value
>   ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_pcm_status
>   ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_rawmidi_status
>   ALSA: Avoid using timespec for struct snd_timer_tread
> 
>  include/sound/pcm.h               |  74 ++++++--
>  include/sound/soc-component.h     |   4 +-
>  include/sound/timer.h             |   4 +-
>  include/uapi/sound/asound.h       | 145 +++++++++++++--
>  sound/core/pcm.c                  |  12 +-
>  sound/core/pcm_compat.c           | 282 ++++++++----------------------
>  sound/core/pcm_lib.c              |  38 ++--
>  sound/core/pcm_native.c           | 226 +++++++++++++++++++++---
>  sound/core/rawmidi.c              | 132 +++++++++++---
>  sound/core/rawmidi_compat.c       |  87 +++------
>  sound/core/timer.c                | 229 ++++++++++++++++++------
>  sound/core/timer_compat.c         |  62 +------
>  sound/drivers/aloop.c             |   2 +-
>  sound/pci/hda/hda_controller.c    |  10 +-
>  sound/soc/intel/skylake/skl-pcm.c |   4 +-
>  15 files changed, 817 insertions(+), 494 deletions(-)
> 
> -- 
> 2.20.0
>
Arnd Bergmann Dec. 17, 2019, 9:15 p.m. UTC | #2
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:42 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 22:20:16 +0100,
> Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> >
> > I hope I addressed all review comments by now, so please pull this
> > for linux-5.6.
> >
> > A git branch with the same contents is available for testing at [1].
> >
> >      Arnd
>
> I see no issue other than the timer API patch Ben pointed.
>
> Could you resubmit that patch?  Or just submit the whole as v8, I
> don't mind either way.  Then we'll get this done for 5.6.

Can you take this as a pull request? That would be ideal for me,
as I can then use it as a parent for a shared branch with additional
cleanups on top (removing time_t etc) in linux-next. It also provides
a nice place to preserve the series cover letter.

I'm sending you the pull request now, and the last modified patch,
in case you prefer the patch over a git tag.

Thanks,

        Arnd
Takashi Iwai Dec. 17, 2019, 10:22 p.m. UTC | #3
On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 22:15:32 +0100,
Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> 
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:42 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 22:20:16 +0100,
> > Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> 
> > >
> > > I hope I addressed all review comments by now, so please pull this
> > > for linux-5.6.
> > >
> > > A git branch with the same contents is available for testing at [1].
> > >
> > >      Arnd
> >
> > I see no issue other than the timer API patch Ben pointed.
> >
> > Could you resubmit that patch?  Or just submit the whole as v8, I
> > don't mind either way.  Then we'll get this done for 5.6.
> 
> Can you take this as a pull request? That would be ideal for me,
> as I can then use it as a parent for a shared branch with additional
> cleanups on top (removing time_t etc) in linux-next. It also provides
> a nice place to preserve the series cover letter.
> 
> I'm sending you the pull request now, and the last modified patch,
> in case you prefer the patch over a git tag.

That's fine for me.  Now I pulled it to a branch for 5.6 kernel.

Thanks for your patient works!


Takashi