[1/3] net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: Fix the RGMII TX delay on Meson8b/8m2 SoCs
diff mbox series

Message ID 20191225005655.1502037-2-martin.blumenstingl@googlemail.com
State New
Headers show
Series
  • Meson8b/8m2: Ethernet RGMII TX delay fixes
Related show

Commit Message

Martin Blumenstingl Dec. 25, 2019, 12:56 a.m. UTC
GXBB and newer SoCs use the fixed FCLK_DIV2 (1GHz) clock as input for
the m250_sel clock. Meson8b and Meson8m2 use MPLL2 instead, whose rate
can be adjusted at runtime.

So far we have been running MPLL2 with ~250MHz (and the internal
m250_div with value 1), which worked enough that we could transfer data
with an TX delay of 4ns. Unfortunately there is high packet loss with
an RGMII PHY when transferring data (receiving data works fine though).
Odroid-C1's u-boot is running with a TX delay of only 2ns as well as
the internal m250_div set to 2 - no lost (TX) packets can be observed
with that setting in u-boot.

Manual testing has shown that the TX packet loss goes away when using
the following settings in Linux:
- MPLL2 clock set to ~500MHz
- m250_div set to 2
- TX delay set to 2ns

Update the m250_div divider settings to only accept dividers greater or
equal 2. This will allow the Meson8 and Meson8m2 .dts to be updated to
use a TX delay of 2ns (instead of 4ns) to fix the TX packet loss.

iperf3 results before the change:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   182 MBytes   153 Mbits/sec  514      sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   182 MBytes   152 Mbits/sec           receiver

iperf3 results after the change (including an updated TX delay of 2ns):
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   927 MBytes   778 Mbits/sec    0      sender
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec   927 MBytes   777 Mbits/sec           receiver

Fixes: 4f6a71b84e1afd ("net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: fix internal RGMII clock configuration")
Signed-off-by: Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@googlemail.com>
---
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c    | 14 +++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

Comments

Andrew Lunn Dec. 25, 2019, 3:08 p.m. UTC | #1
On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 01:56:53AM +0100, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> GXBB and newer SoCs use the fixed FCLK_DIV2 (1GHz) clock as input for
> the m250_sel clock. Meson8b and Meson8m2 use MPLL2 instead, whose rate
> can be adjusted at runtime.
> 
> So far we have been running MPLL2 with ~250MHz (and the internal
> m250_div with value 1), which worked enough that we could transfer data
> with an TX delay of 4ns. Unfortunately there is high packet loss with
> an RGMII PHY when transferring data (receiving data works fine though).
> Odroid-C1's u-boot is running with a TX delay of only 2ns as well as
> the internal m250_div set to 2 - no lost (TX) packets can be observed
> with that setting in u-boot.
> 
> Manual testing has shown that the TX packet loss goes away when using
> the following settings in Linux:
> - MPLL2 clock set to ~500MHz
> - m250_div set to 2
> - TX delay set to 2ns

Hi Martin

The delay will depend on the PHY, the value of phy-mode, and the PCB
layout.

https://ethernetfmc.com/rgmii-interface-timing-considerations/

RGMII requires a delay of 2ns between the data and the clock
signal. There are at least three ways this can happen.

1) The MAC adds the delay

2) The PCB adds the delay by making the clock line longer than the
data line.

3) The PHY adds the delay.

In linux you configure this using the phy-mode in DT.

      # RX and TX delays are added by the MAC when required
      - rgmii

      # RGMII with internal RX and TX delays provided by the PHY,
      # the MAC should not add the RX or TX delays in this case
      - rgmii-id

      # RGMII with internal RX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
      # should not add an RX delay in this case
      - rgmii-rxid

      # RGMII with internal TX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
      # should not add an TX delay in this case
      - rgmii-txid

So ideally, you want the MAC to add no delay at all, and then use the
correct phy-mode so the PHY adds the correct delay. This gives you the
most flexibility in terms of PHY and PCB design. This does however
require that the PHY implements the delay, which not all do.

Looking at patches 2 and 3, the phy-mode is set to rgmii. What you
might actually need to do is set this to rgmii-txid, or maybe
rgmii-id, once you have the MAC not inserting any delay.

With MAC/PHY issues, it is a good idea to Cc: the PHY maintainers.

	Andrew
Martin Blumenstingl Dec. 25, 2019, 3:33 p.m. UTC | #2
Hi Andrew,

thank you as always for taking a close look at my patches :-)

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 4:08 PM Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 01:56:53AM +0100, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> > GXBB and newer SoCs use the fixed FCLK_DIV2 (1GHz) clock as input for
> > the m250_sel clock. Meson8b and Meson8m2 use MPLL2 instead, whose rate
> > can be adjusted at runtime.
> >
> > So far we have been running MPLL2 with ~250MHz (and the internal
> > m250_div with value 1), which worked enough that we could transfer data
> > with an TX delay of 4ns. Unfortunately there is high packet loss with
> > an RGMII PHY when transferring data (receiving data works fine though).
> > Odroid-C1's u-boot is running with a TX delay of only 2ns as well as
> > the internal m250_div set to 2 - no lost (TX) packets can be observed
> > with that setting in u-boot.
> >
> > Manual testing has shown that the TX packet loss goes away when using
> > the following settings in Linux:
> > - MPLL2 clock set to ~500MHz
> > - m250_div set to 2
> > - TX delay set to 2ns
>
> Hi Martin
>
> The delay will depend on the PHY, the value of phy-mode, and the PCB
> layout.
>
> https://ethernetfmc.com/rgmii-interface-timing-considerations/
>
> RGMII requires a delay of 2ns between the data and the clock
> signal. There are at least three ways this can happen.
>
> 1) The MAC adds the delay
>
> 2) The PCB adds the delay by making the clock line longer than the
> data line.
>
> 3) The PHY adds the delay.
>
> In linux you configure this using the phy-mode in DT.
>
>       # RX and TX delays are added by the MAC when required
>       - rgmii
>
>       # RGMII with internal RX and TX delays provided by the PHY,
>       # the MAC should not add the RX or TX delays in this case
>       - rgmii-id
>
>       # RGMII with internal RX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
>       # should not add an RX delay in this case
>       - rgmii-rxid
>
>       # RGMII with internal TX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
>       # should not add an TX delay in this case
>       - rgmii-txid
>
> So ideally, you want the MAC to add no delay at all, and then use the
> correct phy-mode so the PHY adds the correct delay. This gives you the
> most flexibility in terms of PHY and PCB design. This does however
> require that the PHY implements the delay, which not all do.
these boards (with RGMII PHY) that I am aware of are using an RTL8211F
PHY which implements a 2ns PHY TX delay
however, the 3.10 vendor kernel also supports Micrel RGMII (and RMII)
PHYs where I don't know if they implement a (configurable) TX delay.

> Looking at patches 2 and 3, the phy-mode is set to rgmii. What you
> might actually need to do is set this to rgmii-txid, or maybe
> rgmii-id, once you have the MAC not inserting any delay.
please let us split this discussion:
1) I believe that this patch is still correct and required whenever
the MAC *has to* generate the TX delay (one use-case could be the
Micrel PHYs I mentioned above)
2) the correct phy-mode and where the TX delay is being generated. I
have tried "rgmii-txid" on my own Odroid-C1 and it's working fine
there. however, it's the only board with RGMII PHY that I have from
this generation of SoCs (and other testers are typically rare for this
platform, because it's an older SoC). so my idea was to use the same
settings as the 3.10 vendor kernel because these seem to be the "known
working" ones.

what do you think about 2)? my main concern is that this *could* break
Ethernet on other people's boards.
on the other hand I have no idea how likely that actually is.


Martin
Andrew Lunn Dec. 26, 2019, 10:50 a.m. UTC | #3
> >       # RX and TX delays are added by the MAC when required
> >       - rgmii
> >
> >       # RGMII with internal RX and TX delays provided by the PHY,
> >       # the MAC should not add the RX or TX delays in this case
> >       - rgmii-id
> >
> >       # RGMII with internal RX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
> >       # should not add an RX delay in this case
> >       - rgmii-rxid
> >
> >       # RGMII with internal TX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
> >       # should not add an TX delay in this case
> >       - rgmii-txid
> >
> > So ideally, you want the MAC to add no delay at all, and then use the
> > correct phy-mode so the PHY adds the correct delay. This gives you the
> > most flexibility in terms of PHY and PCB design. This does however
> > require that the PHY implements the delay, which not all do.
> these boards (with RGMII PHY) that I am aware of are using an RTL8211F
> PHY which implements a 2ns PHY TX delay

We need to be careful here...

Earlier this year we got into a mess with a PHY driver wrongly
implemented these delays. DT contained 'rgmii', but the PHY driver
actually implemented rgmii-id'. Boards worked, because they actually
needed rgmii-id. But then came along a board which really did need
rgmii. We took the decision, maybe the wrong decision, to fix the PHY
driver, and fixup DT files as we found boards which had the incorrect
setting. We broke a lot of boards for a while and caused lots of
people pain.

You might have something which works, but i want to be sure it is
actually correct, not two bugs cancelling each other out.

You say the RTL8211F PHY implements a 2ns PHY TX delay. So in DT, do
you have the phy-mode of 'rgmii-txid'? That would be the correct
setting to say that the PHY provides only the TX delay.

> however, the 3.10 vendor kernel also supports Micrel RGMII (and RMII)
> PHYs where I don't know if they implement a (configurable) TX delay.
> 
> > Looking at patches 2 and 3, the phy-mode is set to rgmii. What you
> > might actually need to do is set this to rgmii-txid, or maybe
> > rgmii-id, once you have the MAC not inserting any delay.
> please let us split this discussion:
> 1) I believe that this patch is still correct and required whenever
> the MAC *has to* generate the TX delay (one use-case could be the
> Micrel PHYs I mentioned above)

I think this patch splits into two parts. One is getting a 25MHz
clock. That part i can agree with straight away. The second part is
setting a 2ns TX delay. This we need to be careful of. What is the MAC
actually doing after this patch? What is the configured RX delay? Does
the driver explicitly configure the RX delay? To what?

If you look at the definitions above, if the phy-mode is rgmii, the
MAC is responsible for both RX and TX delay. 

> 2) the correct phy-mode and where the TX delay is being generated. I
> have tried "rgmii-txid" on my own Odroid-C1 and it's working fine
> there. however, it's the only board with RGMII PHY that I have from
> this generation of SoCs (and other testers are typically rare for this
> platform, because it's an older SoC). so my idea was to use the same
> settings as the 3.10 vendor kernel because these seem to be the "known
> working" ones.

Vendor kernels have the alternative of 'vendor crap' for a good
reason. Just because it works does not mean it is correct.

> what do you think about 2)? my main concern is that this *could* break
> Ethernet on other people's boards.
> on the other hand I have no idea how likely that actually is.

From what i understand, Ethernet is already broken? Or is it broken on
just some boards?

Looking at the function rtl8211f_config_init(), that PHY driver can
only control TX delays. RX delays are controlled by a strapping pin.

The Micrel PHY driver can also control its clock skew, but it does it
in an odd way, not via the phy-mode, but via additional
properties. See the binding document.

What we normally say is make the MAC add no delays, and pass the
correct configuration to the PHY so it adds the delay. But due to the
strapping pin on the rtl8211f, we are in a bit of a grey area. I would
suggest the MAC adds no delay, phy-mode is set to rmgii-id, the PHY
driver adds TX delay in software, we assume the strapping pin is set
to add RX delay, and we add a big fat comment in the DT.

For the Micrel PHY, we do the same, plus add the vendor properties to
configure the clock skew.

But as i said, we are in a bit of a grey area. We can consider other
options, but everything needs to be self consistent, between what the
MAC is doing, what the PHY is doing, and what phy-mode is set to in
DT.

    Andrew
Martin Blumenstingl Dec. 26, 2019, 11:39 a.m. UTC | #4
Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 11:50 AM Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>
> > >       # RX and TX delays are added by the MAC when required
> > >       - rgmii
> > >
> > >       # RGMII with internal RX and TX delays provided by the PHY,
> > >       # the MAC should not add the RX or TX delays in this case
> > >       - rgmii-id
> > >
> > >       # RGMII with internal RX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
> > >       # should not add an RX delay in this case
> > >       - rgmii-rxid
> > >
> > >       # RGMII with internal TX delay provided by the PHY, the MAC
> > >       # should not add an TX delay in this case
> > >       - rgmii-txid
> > >
> > > So ideally, you want the MAC to add no delay at all, and then use the
> > > correct phy-mode so the PHY adds the correct delay. This gives you the
> > > most flexibility in terms of PHY and PCB design. This does however
> > > require that the PHY implements the delay, which not all do.
> > these boards (with RGMII PHY) that I am aware of are using an RTL8211F
> > PHY which implements a 2ns PHY TX delay
>
> We need to be careful here...
>
> Earlier this year we got into a mess with a PHY driver wrongly
> implemented these delays. DT contained 'rgmii', but the PHY driver
> actually implemented rgmii-id'. Boards worked, because they actually
> needed rgmii-id. But then came along a board which really did need
> rgmii. We took the decision, maybe the wrong decision, to fix the PHY
> driver, and fixup DT files as we found boards which had the incorrect
> setting. We broke a lot of boards for a while and caused lots of
> people pain.
>
> You might have something which works, but i want to be sure it is
> actually correct, not two bugs cancelling each other out.
(wow, that sounds painful)

> You say the RTL8211F PHY implements a 2ns PHY TX delay. So in DT, do
> you have the phy-mode of 'rgmii-txid'? That would be the correct
> setting to say that the PHY provides only the TX delay.
yes, in my experiment (for which I did not send patches to the list
yet because we're discussing that part) I set phy-mode = "rgmii-txid";
this also makes the dwmac-meson8b driver ignore any TX delay on the MAC side

> > however, the 3.10 vendor kernel also supports Micrel RGMII (and RMII)
> > PHYs where I don't know if they implement a (configurable) TX delay.
> >
> > > Looking at patches 2 and 3, the phy-mode is set to rgmii. What you
> > > might actually need to do is set this to rgmii-txid, or maybe
> > > rgmii-id, once you have the MAC not inserting any delay.
> > please let us split this discussion:
> > 1) I believe that this patch is still correct and required whenever
> > the MAC *has to* generate the TX delay (one use-case could be the
> > Micrel PHYs I mentioned above)
>
> I think this patch splits into two parts. One is getting a 25MHz
> clock. That part i can agree with straight away. The second part is
> setting a 2ns TX delay. This we need to be careful of. What is the MAC
> actually doing after this patch? What is the configured RX delay? Does
> the driver explicitly configure the RX delay? To what?
good to see that we agree on the clock part!

the MAC is not capable of generating an RX delay (at least as far as I know).
to me this means that we are using the default on the PHY side (I
*assume* - but I have no proof - that this means the RX delay is
enabled, just like TX delay is enabled after a full chip reset)

> > 2) the correct phy-mode and where the TX delay is being generated. I
> > have tried "rgmii-txid" on my own Odroid-C1 and it's working fine
> > there. however, it's the only board with RGMII PHY that I have from
> > this generation of SoCs (and other testers are typically rare for this
> > platform, because it's an older SoC). so my idea was to use the same
> > settings as the 3.10 vendor kernel because these seem to be the "known
> > working" ones.
>
> Vendor kernels have the alternative of 'vendor crap' for a good
> reason. Just because it works does not mean it is correct.
yes, there's no general rule about the quality of vendor code
in my case I found Ethernet TX to be stable and close to Gbit/s speeds
on the vendor kernel while mainline was dropping packets and speeds
were worse
that still doesn't mean the vendor code is good, but from a user
perspective it's better than what we have in mainline

> > what do you think about 2)? my main concern is that this *could* break
> > Ethernet on other people's boards.
> > on the other hand I have no idea how likely that actually is.
>
> From what i understand, Ethernet is already broken? Or is it broken on
> just some boards?
it's mostly "broken" (high TX packet loss, slow TX speeds) for the two
supported boards with an RGMII PHY (meson8b-odroidc1.dts and
meson8m2-mxiii-plus.dts)
examples on the many ways it was broken will follow - feel free to
skip this part

before this patch we had:
input clock at 250MHz
|- m250_sel (inheriting the rate of the input clock because it's a mux)
   |- m250_div set to 1
      |- fixed_div_by_2 (outputting 125MHz for the RGMII TX clock)
together with a configured (but suspicious) TX delay of 4ns on the MAC
side in the board .dts
Transmitting ("sending") data via Ethernet has heavy packet loss and
far from Gbit/s speeds
(setting the TX delay on the MAC in this case to 2ns broke Ethernet
completely, even DHCP was failing)

after this patch we have:
input clock at 500MHz (double as before)
|- m250_sel (inheriting the rate of the input clock because it's a mux)
   |- m250_div set to 2
      |- fixed_div_by_2 (still outputting 125MHz for the RGMII TX clock)
with the old TX delay of 4ns on the MAC side there is still packet loss
updating the TX delay on the MAC side to 2ns (which is what the vendor
driver does) fixes the packet loss and transmit speeds

> The Micrel PHY driver can also control its clock skew, but it does it
> in an odd way, not via the phy-mode, but via additional
> properties. See the binding document.
I see, thank you for the hint

> What we normally say is make the MAC add no delays, and pass the
> correct configuration to the PHY so it adds the delay. But due to the
> strapping pin on the rtl8211f, we are in a bit of a grey area. I would
> suggest the MAC adds no delay, phy-mode is set to rmgii-id, the PHY
> driver adds TX delay in software, we assume the strapping pin is set
> to add RX delay, and we add a big fat comment in the DT.
>
> For the Micrel PHY, we do the same, plus add the vendor properties to
> configure the clock skew.
>
> But as i said, we are in a bit of a grey area. We can consider other
> options, but everything needs to be self consistent, between what the
> MAC is doing, what the PHY is doing, and what phy-mode is set to in
> DT.
do you think it's worth the effort to get clarification from Realtek
on the RX delay behavior (and whether there's a register to control
it)?
(when I previously asked them about interrupt support they answered
all my questions so we were able to confirm that it's implemented
properly upstream)
before this email I would have asked Realtek about the RX delay and
sent a patch updating rtl8211f_config_init (the
PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII_RXID and PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RGMII_ID cases).

you mentioned that there was breakage earlier this year, so I'm not sure anymore
(that leaves me thinking: asking them is still useful to get out of
this grey area)


Martin
Andrew Lunn Dec. 26, 2019, 12:01 p.m. UTC | #5
> the MAC is not capable of generating an RX delay (at least as far as I know).

So that immediately means rgmii is invalid as a phy-mode, since the
documentation implies the MAC needs to add RX delay.

> it's mostly "broken" (high TX packet loss, slow TX speeds) for the two
> supported boards with an RGMII PHY (meson8b-odroidc1.dts and
> meson8m2-mxiii-plus.dts)
> examples on the many ways it was broken will follow - feel free to
> skip this part

That is actually good. If it never worked, we don't need to worry
about breaking it! We can spend our time getting this correct, and not
have to worry about backwards compatibility, etc.

> > What we normally say is make the MAC add no delays, and pass the
> > correct configuration to the PHY so it adds the delay. But due to the
> > strapping pin on the rtl8211f, we are in a bit of a grey area. I would
> > suggest the MAC adds no delay, phy-mode is set to rmgii-id, the PHY
> > driver adds TX delay in software, we assume the strapping pin is set
> > to add RX delay, and we add a big fat comment in the DT.
> >
> > For the Micrel PHY, we do the same, plus add the vendor properties to
> > configure the clock skew.
> >
> > But as i said, we are in a bit of a grey area. We can consider other
> > options, but everything needs to be self consistent, between what the
> > MAC is doing, what the PHY is doing, and what phy-mode is set to in
> > DT.

> do you think it's worth the effort to get clarification from Realtek
> on the RX delay behavior (and whether there's a register to control
> it)?

You can ask. There are also datasheet here:

http://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/rock64/RTL8211F-CG-Realtek.pdf
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/1909021205_Realtek-Semicon-RTL8211F-CG_C187932.pdf

It looks like both RX and TX delay can be controlled via
strapping. But the register for controlling the TX delay is not
documented.

> you mentioned that there was breakage earlier this year, so I'm not sure anymore
> (that leaves me thinking: asking them is still useful to get out of
> this grey area)

It was an Atheros PHY with breakage.

If we can fully control the RX and TX delays, that would be great. It
would also be useful if there was a way to determine how the PHY has
been strapped. If we cannot fully control the delays but we can find
out what delays it is using, we can check the requested configuration
against the strapped configuration, and warn if they are different.

    Andrew
Martin Blumenstingl Dec. 26, 2019, 6:17 p.m. UTC | #6
Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 1:01 PM Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>
> > the MAC is not capable of generating an RX delay (at least as far as I know).
>
> So that immediately means rgmii is invalid as a phy-mode, since the
> documentation implies the MAC needs to add RX delay.
things turned out even more confusing thanks to your persistence (keep
reading, it will get better though) :-)

I have tested the following on my Odroid-C1 which has an RTL8211F PHY.
With patch #1 from this series I knew that the following was working:
- phy-mode = "rgmii" and 2ns TX delay on the MAC (RX delay is
seemingly not configured anywhere)
- phy-mode = "rgmii-txid" (again, the RX delay is seemingly not
configured anywhere)

with the patch to change the RX delay on the RTL8211F PHY I decided to
try out phy-mode = "rgmii-id": this broke Ethernet.
then I looked at the MAC registers and spotted that bits 13
(adj_enable) and 14 (adj_setup) are set (first time I'm noticing
this). unsetting them makes phy-mode = "rgmii-id" work!
I also confirmed the opposite case: unsetting bit 13 and 14 breaks
Ethernet with phy-mode = "rgmii-txid".

so it seems that there *is* a way to configure the RX delay on Meson8b
and Meson8m2 SoCs (at least).
I will spin up a RfC patch to discuss this with the Amlogic team and
because I don't know what these bits do exactly

> > it's mostly "broken" (high TX packet loss, slow TX speeds) for the two
> > supported boards with an RGMII PHY (meson8b-odroidc1.dts and
> > meson8m2-mxiii-plus.dts)
> > examples on the many ways it was broken will follow - feel free to
> > skip this part
>
> That is actually good. If it never worked, we don't need to worry
> about breaking it! We can spend our time getting this correct, and not
> have to worry about backwards compatibility, etc.
ACK

> > > What we normally say is make the MAC add no delays, and pass the
> > > correct configuration to the PHY so it adds the delay. But due to the
> > > strapping pin on the rtl8211f, we are in a bit of a grey area. I would
> > > suggest the MAC adds no delay, phy-mode is set to rmgii-id, the PHY
> > > driver adds TX delay in software, we assume the strapping pin is set
> > > to add RX delay, and we add a big fat comment in the DT.
> > >
> > > For the Micrel PHY, we do the same, plus add the vendor properties to
> > > configure the clock skew.
> > >
> > > But as i said, we are in a bit of a grey area. We can consider other
> > > options, but everything needs to be self consistent, between what the
> > > MAC is doing, what the PHY is doing, and what phy-mode is set to in
> > > DT.
>
> > do you think it's worth the effort to get clarification from Realtek
> > on the RX delay behavior (and whether there's a register to control
> > it)?
>
> You can ask. There are also datasheet here:
>
> http://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/rock64/RTL8211F-CG-Realtek.pdf
> https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/1909021205_Realtek-Semicon-RTL8211F-CG_C187932.pdf
>
> It looks like both RX and TX delay can be controlled via
> strapping. But the register for controlling the TX delay is not
> documented.
I checked the mails I got from Realtek I while ago and they even
included the RX delay bits!
I even sent a patch two years ago but I must have dropped it at some
point (maybe I assumed that it wasn't relevant anymore - I don't
remember): [0]

> > you mentioned that there was breakage earlier this year, so I'm not sure anymore
> > (that leaves me thinking: asking them is still useful to get out of
> > this grey area)
>
> It was an Atheros PHY with breakage.
>
> If we can fully control the RX and TX delays, that would be great. It
> would also be useful if there was a way to determine how the PHY has
> been strapped. If we cannot fully control the delays but we can find
> out what delays it is using, we can check the requested configuration
> against the strapped configuration, and warn if they are different.
I am currently testing whether the pin strapping configuration can be
read back by the RX and TX delay registers
my Odroid-C1 has both strapped to GND which means off
but my Khadas VIM2 has TX delay strapped to ETH_VDDIO which means on
(RX delay is still strapped to GND)
once I am done testing I will send patches for the RTL8211F PHY driver


Martin


[0] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/843946/

Patch
diff mbox series

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c
index bd6c01004913..0e2fa14f1423 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c
@@ -112,6 +112,14 @@  static int meson8b_init_rgmii_tx_clk(struct meson8b_dwmac *dwmac)
 	struct device *dev = dwmac->dev;
 	const char *parent_name, *mux_parent_names[MUX_CLK_NUM_PARENTS];
 	struct meson8b_dwmac_clk_configs *clk_configs;
+	static const struct clk_div_table div_table[] = {
+		{ .div = 2, .val = 2, },
+		{ .div = 3, .val = 3, },
+		{ .div = 4, .val = 4, },
+		{ .div = 5, .val = 5, },
+		{ .div = 6, .val = 6, },
+		{ .div = 7, .val = 7, },
+	};
 
 	clk_configs = devm_kzalloc(dev, sizeof(*clk_configs), GFP_KERNEL);
 	if (!clk_configs)
@@ -146,9 +154,9 @@  static int meson8b_init_rgmii_tx_clk(struct meson8b_dwmac *dwmac)
 	clk_configs->m250_div.reg = dwmac->regs + PRG_ETH0;
 	clk_configs->m250_div.shift = PRG_ETH0_CLK_M250_DIV_SHIFT;
 	clk_configs->m250_div.width = PRG_ETH0_CLK_M250_DIV_WIDTH;
-	clk_configs->m250_div.flags = CLK_DIVIDER_ONE_BASED |
-				CLK_DIVIDER_ALLOW_ZERO |
-				CLK_DIVIDER_ROUND_CLOSEST;
+	clk_configs->m250_div.table = div_table;
+	clk_configs->m250_div.flags = CLK_DIVIDER_ALLOW_ZERO |
+				      CLK_DIVIDER_ROUND_CLOSEST;
 	clk = meson8b_dwmac_register_clk(dwmac, "m250_div", &parent_name, 1,
 					 &clk_divider_ops,
 					 &clk_configs->m250_div.hw);